Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My f1 visa status have been termibated twice. No I am trying…

Customer Question
Hello my f1 visa...

Hello my f1 visa status have been termibated twice

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

No I am trying to go through reinstatement as of today

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I wanted to know the possibility because i have read that being reinstated twice is highly unlikely

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/26/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 10 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Why was your status terminated each time?

the first reason of my i20 termniation - was I was originally a student of a university and then I wanted to take few classes in a community college for a credit. When I asked my school's international office about what I need to do in order to transfer to the community college, the front desk student helper gave me a shallow information which didn't include what I have to do with my i20. then when I went to visit the community college, the advisors there informed me that they can't issue me an i20 in a way that my school's international officer told me. Therefore, I couldn't apply to the community college nor my university because the community college couldn'r issue the i20 and my university has a quarterly system so the enrollment time has already passed. Then my university noticed me that my i20 will be terminated soon and I need to take an action. I replied them right away and we made an appointment the next day. however, that day I received an email from the same officer who notified me that they have decided to terminate my i20 and I have to reinstate.2nd reason for termination - I was attending an institution at my school which was still regarded as a different institution from my university's main campus. since our school's policy requires students to re-apply if the student have attended another institution for more than 2 quarters and I have attended that institution for winter and spring, I had to reapply for fallunch quarter. However in meanwhile, after the spring quarter, I was attending my main campus institution for summer session (which doesn't require i20 transfer). While I was enrolled and taking classes for summer session, I applied for the part time status for fall quarter. since i could only apply for part time only after I am readmitted, I had to wait to be readmitted to my main campus (taking the transcript, reapply etc). when I was finally readmitted, I tried to apply for part time . However, the process of applying for part time had been such a complicated process with a lot of misunderstandings with many departments of myour school, what should have taken only few days took almost 4 weeks. When I was finally allowed to apply for part time, I went to the international students office since the university told me the international students office was the one to decide whether I could have a part time status or not. (in our university, any student - even the international students - could apply for part time status during the last quarter before graduation. and most of them are allowed). International students office declined my part time status because they overlooked my situation and thought it wasn't my last quarter. when they reviewed the request again, they realized their mistake and allowed me to re-apply for part time status. while they notified me that I can reapply for the status, they told me that I urgently need to request i20 as well. When I gathered the following documents within a week and turned them in, they said extension office hasn't released my SEVIS record yet so I need to go ask them. when I showed them the proof of readmission and told them to release my SEVIS record, they have told me my i20 is terminated already so I have to reinstate. My grace period of 60 days have passed ever since I finished my study in there.

So are you saying that you finished your program and graduated and got a degree or you still need to finish some course work to get a degree?

I finished my study in that institution, but I still need to finish just one more quarter at my main campus in order to graduate.

Ok, so what's the problem with doing a reinstatement again?

I heard that getting a reinstatement twice is highly unlikely.. that's my worry.

Well, your other option is to leave the U.S. and apply for a new F-1 visa to come back. Is that better?

I have read that that option also has risks as well such as in visa not being issued or being denied in the airport for entry.my question I what are the possibility or statistic of being reinstated twice?

Exactly! So what choice do you have? Unless you are going to apply for Asylum or similar protection, or unless you are going to marry a U.S. Citizen (for love, not papers), you don't really have many good choices. It's either try for reinstatement again, or leave the U.S. and apply for an F-1 to come back. The safer thing to do is try reinstatement again and if it is denied, then you can leave the U.S. and apply for an F-1 to come back. I wish I had other reasonable choices for you, but the options are very limited.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!