Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My son has 10 year tourist visa and 5 year education visa…

Customer Question
My son has 10 year...
My son has 10 year tourist visa and 5 year education visa but i20 up to 4november 2017for studying at kaplan chicago.After i20 is over on 4th november he has to give USMLE on 15th dec2017.My question is that after 4nov. when i20 is over ,how can he get tourist visa to stay after 4th nov. 2017?Does his stay in Chicago becomes illegal?To whom should he approach for tourist visa on 4th nov 2017?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/26/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 10 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Before he finishes classes, he would have to file an I-539 which can be found here:

http://www.uscis.gov/i-539

This is what allows him to change status to B-2. He would have to explain the following:

1) How much time do you need?

2) Why do you need you so much time?

3) Why you couldn't do what you needed to do during the last trip?

4) How will you be supporting yourself for this additional time since you are not allowed to work?

5) What STRONG ties do you have to your home country to ensure that you will go back?

6) What preparations have you made to go back?

Or he can leave the U.S. and ask to come back into the U.S. using the B-2. If he does that, he would have to be prepared to answer the following:

1) Why are you coming back so soon?

2) Why couldn't you do what you needed to do during your last trip?

3) How will you be supporting yourself for this additional time since you are not allowed to work?

4) What STRONG ties do you have to your home country to ensure that you will go back?

5) What preparations have you made to go back?

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.