Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

PERSON WAS A CREW MEMBER ON A CRUISE SHIP AND DISEMBARKED IN…

Customer Question
HELLO, PERSON WAS A CREW...
HELLO, PERSON WAS A CREW MEMBER ON A CRUISE SHIP AND DISEMBARKED IN UNITED STATES. HAS BEEN IN U.S. OVER 10 YEARS AGO. GOT MARRIED TO A U.S. CITIZEN A YEAR AGO. FORM I-130 WAS FILED AND HAS BEEN APPROVED ABOUT 60-90 DAYS AGO. WHAT HAPPENS NEXT IN SEQUENCE WITH FORMS (PLEASE INCLUDE NUMBER), INTERVIEWS, ETC. AND AN ESTIMATE OF HOW LONG IT TAKES FOR EACH ONE. THANKS
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/25/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you might experience some delays while I work with several customers at the same time, or I am preparing a response to you. Please do not click Opt Out expecting a faster response. This results in more delays while waiting for another Expert. I assure you I will help you in due time. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

First, please do not write in ALL CAPS. It makes it more difficult to read your questions and responses, and also looks like you are shouting at me.

Did you enter on the C1/D visa?

I am trying to help someone and I don't know the answer. He was a crew member on a cruise ship and disembarked in the United States and stayed. Does that help. Sorry about the caps.

No problem.

It helps to know which visa he used. I just want to make sure we are working within the same framework so that my answer is accurate. It definitely could make a difference if he had or had not. Can you find out from him please?

Visa was C 1/D
Is this the information you needed to proceed?

Yes, thank you very much. Please allow me some time to prepare the answers to your questions. Thank you for your patience as I do so.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. But first, I need to emphasize that I am not a court officer, a legislator who makes the laws, or a judge. I do not make any decisions about your case. I am only here to provide you with information about the situation. So please do not hold negative or bad news against me. I am just a messenger.

When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: Unfortunately, unless there exists some mistake by the CBP on the entry documents, he will not be able to adjust his status from within the US. Instead, he will have to go through the marriage-based immigrant visa status from abroad. Why? Because under US immigration laws, the C-1/D visa carries with it harsh limitations, including that someone who enters in such status is ineligible for adjustment of status, even through marriage to a US citizen.

What is worse, in this case, the individual in question now has more than 1 year of unlawful presence in the US; that means he is subject to a 10-year ban from re-entering the US once he leaves the US.

Since he cannot adjust his status from within the US and must leave the US to come back and get his marriage-based green card, and that will subject him to an unlawful presence ban, he will need to use the approved I-130 to file a request for a Provisional Waiver of the Unlawful Presence ban to increase the chances that he can come back to the US before the 10-years finishes.

He needs to file form I-601A to the USCIS. If on the I-130, the US citizen indicated that the alien will go through consular processing, he will need to inform the National Visa Center than a provisional waiver has been filed and not to schedule the appointment at the US consulate yet. Once the I-601A is approved, the USCIS will contact the National Visa Center to inform them that it has been approved and that it can proceed with the case.

The US citizen will then file form I-864 to the National Visa Center when prompted to do so. The alien will file the immigration visa application, as well as any requested supporting documents, when prompted to do so by the National Visa Center.

Once the case is processed through the National Visa Center and all the forms have been accepted, the NVC will send the case to the alien's home country for processing and scheduling of the immigrant visa interview. The alien will have to undergo a Medical Examination, submitting form I-693 to the doctor who examines him.

If the US consulate accepts the provisional waiver of the unlawful presence and the interview is successful, he will be issued his immigrant visa to come to the US. He will become a permanent resident upon entering the US with the immigrant visa and will get his green card within a few months.

This entire process can take anywhere from 9 to 12 more months.

I-601A: $630 + $85.

Immigrant visa fee: $325.00

I-864 Affidavit of Support fee: $120

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Is there a form number for the immigration visa application?
Is there a form number for Provisional Waiver of the Unlawful Presence?
What does CBP stand for?

Remember that I don't get credit for doing my job if you do not give me a positive rating. Kindly do so by going to the top of this page and clicking on 4 or 5 stars. Thank you!

QUESTION: Is there a form number for the immigration visa application?

ANSWER: DS-260. It is an electronic form. It should not be filed unless and until the NAtional Visa Center tells him to complete it.

QUESTION: Is there a form number for Provisional Waiver of the Unlawful Presence?

ANSWER: Yes. I gave you that information already. It is Form I-601A.

QUESTION: What does CBP stand for?

ANSWER: Customs and Border Protection.

I hope that answers your questions. Please go ahead and give me that positive rating now, so that I can rest easy that I will get credit for helping you today.

Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer