Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I'm on student visa F1 here in US my boy friend is a US

Customer Question
I'm on student visa...

I'm on student visa F1 here in US my boy friend is a US citizen, can he apply for green card for me ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/25/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 11 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Luckily, it is good news. Yes he can. After you marry, you will need to file an adjustment package. This includes the following forms: I-130 (Petition for family member), I-130A, I-485 (application for Lawful Permanent Residency), I-765 (Application for work permit), I-131 (Application for Advance Parole), I-693 (Medical exam that a certified doctor must fill out), and I-864 (Affidavit of support). You will need to file each form with supporting evidence and appropriate filing fees. You can find these forms at www.uscis.gov/forms.

The supporting evidence that you would file would be birth certificates, marriage certificate, divorce certificates if either of you have been married previously, proof of your U.S. Citizenship, proof of your spouse's legal entry into the U.S., and financial documents to prove your income over the last year at least.

In about 3 to 5 months after filing, the work permit and Advance Parole (travel permit) should be issued. About 5 to 7 months after filing the interview should be scheduled (though now it is taking longer, so maybe closer to 7 to 9 months). If all goes well, a few weeks later the U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency card (green card) should come in the mail.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 10 months ago

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!