Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

We lost a passport with an indefinite leave to remain stamp…

Customer Question
Hi, we lost a...

Hi, we lost a passport with an indefinite leave to remain stamp in it a few years ago. Unfortunately there are no copies of the ILR stamp. Can you advise on how best to start to proceed?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No, unfortunately the passport expired 10 years ago.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, just working out how to get reference to the UK Home Office reference number or IRL number that was used to be able to update things.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There is a national insurance number. Would that help? How much is this going to cost in total, out of interest?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/25/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Laura Schonberg, Immigration Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Laura Schonberg
Laura Schonberg, Immigration Lawyer
Hi, I'm Laura Schonberg, I'm an immigration attorney based in FL and would try help andwerung your question...
Could you please explain what exactly you are trying to achieve? Is it proof of valid status in the U.S.?
Or recover a visa that was issued in the passport that was lost?
Hi, I am an American Citizen who acquired an Indefinite Leave to Remain visa for the UK in 2004. My wife is British and we need to move over to help care for her parents. I didn't get a chance to renew this in my most current passport and we seem to have lost the expired passport with the ILR stamp in it. I was looking for help on how I might go about getting this updated if I don't have access to the original passport or ILR stamp which was issued in Botswana.
Interesting, so if I understand correctly this was issued by the British authorities, correct?
the British Home Office.
In that case, British law governs and unfortunately I'm not familiar with it. If it was the Department of Homeland Security or Department of State who issued the ILR I would be able to guide you. I would still contact (at least by email) the British consulate in Botswana to see if they can provide any record of it. Here in the States, we can check online the I-94 status at entry and period of authorizes stay for any foreigner non-resident entering the country. Sorry I cannot provide more information. Perhaps you should check with a local UK immigration attorney!
On a different note, if you lost your U.S. passport you should report it to de Department of State (you can do it at the consulate of the U.S.) to prevent any identity theft or criminal activity. Wishing you good luck, and if you don't mind, please take a minute to rate my service.
Thanks anyway Laura. I was on the UK immigration Just Ask page so not sure how this got routed through to you in Florida.