Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I was born in Phoenix Arizona 1964. I moved to Australia in…

Customer Question
I was born in...

I was born in Phoenix Arizona 1964. I moved to Australia in 2007. I am considering changing my name in the US. Can this service be done via snail mail and emails?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats it.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/25/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 9 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 8 months ago

I'm so sorry for the delay. I could not find your question on my list.

In order to find out how exactly the process is done and whether it can be all my mail or through the assistance of an attorney, you will need to contact the courts in your city of residence in the US and apply for a legal name change through their system. They will be able to guide you but usually you cannot do a remote name chance. You may need to be here or you may need an attorney to do it on your behalf.

If you're able to do it, remember that after you should contact the nearest US Embassy or Consulate and they will assist you in applying for a new passport with the new name. You will usually need to show your current passport and the court decree changing your name to update your passport.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY! It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions for you at no additional charge, if you have any.

Hopefully you feel you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best! The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you.

If you have additional follow up questions that you would like to ask me, again please click Finish and rate me and then ask me and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future, you can make sure that I am the only one that answers it for you by writing the words "FOR JEN" in your new post.