Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My daughter is working for steiner and has resigned after a…

Customer Question
My daughter is working...

My daughter is working for steiner and has resigned after a week. We have booked her a flight back to the UK but steiner are saying she needs an escort to travel back with her which we need to pay for. They are refusing to give her passport to her so she is trapped

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

I don't know. She has her work visa but we have no idea what else we are meant to do. I am currently in Greece which is making this even harder

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. We just want them to release her so she can fly home. Apparently if she was sacked they just escort her off the ship and that's it. Can the actually detain her on-board ship until we pay for an additional person to travel with her?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/24/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 8 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes. What country is she in?

She is currently at sea but will be docking on new orleans tomorrow morning
Jennifer has to speak to HR again in three hours. I would like to have some useful advice before this time so that hopefully I can sort this out and they will release her. If not, she will be held against her will until we can find funds for another flight and she docks again. This seems wrong. She has a flight booked to bring her back to the UK.

I'm sorry but I need more information. Does she have a US work visa? If so which?

What is Steiner?

Thank you but I did give a time scale on needing your help. On Monday I contacted the British embassy who were able to sort this out, get my daughter off the ship she was working on and onto a flight back to the UK. You are two days too late to be of any help to me.
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 7 months ago

I apologize but we attorneys are not always online. When there is a delay in responding to questions we ask, sometimes we cannot wait and must get offline. It was 3:50am when I first responded to you, I waited 10 minutes and did not get a response and had to get offline.

I'm glad you found the help you needed and that your daughter is safe. I hope I can better assist you with something in the future. Best regards.

Many thanks.

:)

Ely, Counselor at Law