Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My sister is here on visit visa. I dont want her to go back…

Customer Question
My sister is here...

My sister is here on visit visa

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

I dont want her to go back and i want her visa status to be change so she can stay here with me

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet i am looking for some i went on US immigration web site they gave me gorms to fill but so many things hard to understand

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Basically I want this i donot want my sister to go back to Pakistan and so she can stay here with me

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/22/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

I've reviewed your question, and I'm happy to help.

I'm sorry that I may have to deliver news that you may not want to hear, but my job here is to give you accurate information regarding the law. I just ask that you do not shoot the messenger -- this would be by either leaving a negative rating or not leaving a rating at all. US immigration laws are very strict, and my job is to give you an accurate description of the law, not make things up that I think you may want to hear.

I understand you'd like to petition for your sister, are you a US citizen?

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

If you are a US citizen, you can petition for your sister to receive US permanent residency, however the processing times for those petitions are quite lengthy, ranging between 10-12 years.

Unfortunately she will need to wait in her home country, until her priority date becomes available.

Of course the sooner you get your petition submitted, the sooner you start the time tolling to reach that date.

In order to sponsor your sister you will need to submit USCIS Form I-130.

See this link to access the form and learn more about the petition:

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/siblings/bringing-siblings-live-united-states-permanent-residents

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!