Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My friend (from Argentina) has been detained since March at…

Customer Question
My friend (from Argentina)...

My friend (from Argentina) has been detained since March at the Pine Prairie ICE Processing Center (Louisiana). He is hopeless because it seems that after the last review he received a letter that said that was not going to release him and does not tell him when.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I wanted to help him with the following: 1) obtain his file from the court and provide this file to a lawyer to see if he/she can review. Take the case or not. He had a lawyer since March paid $5,000 and did NOTHING. He is in the limbo.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Without looking at this file, it is not way for a lawyer to determine as to what can be done. I am willing to get the extra mile to obtain his file BUT I do not know how to obtain it so I can bring it to the lawyer

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/21/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 8 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Given the limitation of the basic membership. My goal with this service is to get instructions on how to get the ICE file from the court so I can take it to a lawyer for evaluation. One lawyer charged $500 for the review but we do not have that money. I am guessing that I can do the dirty work. I obtained the Form G-639 FOIA .....I do not know if this would work?
no

I understand what you're looking for. Sorry for the phone call request. That is automatically done by the website not me. I will answer you here.

I am preparing your answer.

In order to get a copy of the file, you would have to file a FOIA with the Immigration Court (EOIR). That is different than the FOIA with USCIS which is what you use the G-639 for. You will not get anything with that FOIA unless your friend has filed an application. If he has, you can also file that and ask for expedited processing due to his being detained.

In order to get the court file, you can mail the request to Office of the General Counsel
Attn: FOIA Service Center
Executive Office for Immigration Review
5107 Leesburg Pike, Suite 1903
Falls Church, VA 22041
You can also email it which will be faster to this address : *****@******.***

Here are detailed instructions on how to do this https://www.justice.gov/eoir/foia-facts

The request should be expedited due to being in removal proceedings. Make sure you state that clearly in your request.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY! It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions for you at no additional charge, if you have any.

Hopefully you feel you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best! The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you.

If you have additional follow up questions that you would like to ask me, again please click Finish and rate me and then ask me and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and very appreciated. Foe any NEW questions you have in the future, you can make sure that I am the only one that answers it for you by writing the words "FOR JEN" in your new post.

This is my point.....for $50 ...and I sit down with a lawyer here in the City and talk for 1 hour. BUT....what is the point....my information is PURE expeculation. I need to be able to provide the lawyer THE REAL DEAL so he can provide me with real legal information and see if he can take the case or not....and for how much

Yes, I agree and I understand. That's why I provided you with the information to get the file. Did you receive my answer?

thank you....let me review all the links.....thanks.....Are you local? Greater of New Orleans area, Louisiana.

Sure, no problem. No unfortunately I'm not. I'm in Florida. Hope the links were helpful. Please kindly remember the rating, it's very important for us. You can always ask me follow ups even after you rate me.

Thank you.

thank you.....Jen Marie.....Let me review the link and all the instructions...I would probably have a couple questions more. Thanks and Good Day

You're very welcome. You too.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney