Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

How to change my resident status from a L1B petition based…

Customer Question
How to change my resident...
How to change my resident status from a L1B petition based to H4 based status without leaving Untied State?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/21/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Leena Kamat,
 replied 8 months ago
Leena Kamat

You'll have to file an I-539 application along with:

• Filing fees of $370
  • Copy of marriage certificate between you and H-1B holder
  • Copy of your L-1B approval
  • Copy of your passport and I-94
  • Copies of your latest 3 pay stubs to show your maintenance of L-1B status
  • Copy of your spouse's H-1B approval notice
  • Copy of your spouse's passport and I-94
  • Copies of your spouse's latest 3 pay stubs to show maintenance of H-1B status

Hope this helps. Please provide a positive rating so I can receive credit or assisting you!

Hi Leena, thanks for the timely response. One follow-up, when would be status to effective changed between the time I filed I-539 and got a receipt or the time I actually get the final decision?
Immigration Lawyer: Leena Kamat,
 replied 8 months ago
The status change would take effect as of the start date listed in the approval notice. When filing the request, you could put a future date.
Immigration Lawyer: Leena Kamat,
 replied 7 months ago

Please let me know if you need any clarifications, otherwise please provide a positive rating so I can receive credit for assisting you!

Leena Kamat
Leena Kamat
Leena Kamat