Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I'm an F1 Visa student in the US. I realize back in winter…

Hi, I'm an F1...

Hi, I'm an F1 Visa student in the US. I realize back in winter quarter, (January-March) I only took 10 credits which is below requirement after dropping a class. I didn't know that it was not ok to do so and just ignored it. I now learned that the minimum credits required is 15 and is about to talk to an advisor tomorrow. My visa and I-20 is still active so will it be terminated tomorrow? What should I do and what options do I have. My grades or constantly high and I never been into any trouble other than this one in the US.

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

9/21/2017
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Has it been more than 5 months since you violated your visa?

since it was during march so yes. I didn't know that it's a must to maintain full 12 credits

Unfortunately, it seems that you have been out of status since March so you would not be eligible for reinstatement. It will depend the date of your I-20 termination. If it turns out that it is more than 5 months, then you can depart the US and return with a new F1 visa. You would not be able to correct your status here in the US. If it is less than 5 months, then you can apply for reinstatement using I-539.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY! It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions for you at no additional charge, if you have any.

Hopefully you feel you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best! The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you.

If you have additional follow up questions that you would like to ask me, again please click Finish and rate me and then ask me and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and very appreciated. If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I am the one that answers it for you by writing the words "FOR JEN MARIE" in your new post.

Hello again.. I see that you were able to view my answer a few days ago, but you did not ask any follow ups or leave me any feed back. I'm sorry if it was bad news. Please understand I don't make the laws, I am just doing my job.

Please let me know how else I can help and please kindly keep in mind that we experts do not receive a salary from this website. We only receive credit when you leave a good rating for us with the stars ★★★★★.

I hope you can rate me based not on whether it's good or bad news but on the service I provide. Thank you for your consideration of our work and time here.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney