Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I was married went my father applied for a I-130 and

approved under FA-4. I am...
I was married went my father applied for a I-130 and approved under FA-4. I am now divorced and my date is available for filling under FA-1. What do I have to do in order to file for green card under FA-1 with an approved I-130/FA-4?
9/19/2017
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

Was your father a US citizen or permanent resident when he filed your petition?

Judith

US citizen

You may upgrade your petition FB1 by sending a copy of your divorce decree to the NVC with a letter requesting your immigrant visa be processed now that the category is current.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

Can I send the copy of the divorce decree and the letter requesting the change with my I-485 application? My filling date will be current now in Oct.

Are you in the US lawfully? You can only file the I-485 if you are here lawfully or if you qualify for 245i.

If you qualify for 485 then yes you can send a copy of your divorce decree with a copy of the I-797 approval notice and your request to upgrade to FB1.

I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

I am out of status but under 245(i). Could you tell me if I am able to get a Florida license with the acceptance notice for the I-485?
Thank you Judith I was able to find the answer on the aila table of documents for Florida drivers license could give one year if shows I-797 for 485 process with approved I-130.I appreciate the quick response and helping me with this important question. I have been in the US for a long time and finding out this news that my filling date was current brought lots of emotions.Thank you again

That is good news!

I know you have to be overjoyed at this news after waiting over 15 years.

Congratulations and thank you in advance for a positive rating.

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer