Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a US citizen married to a Thai lady.. I am semi retired…

Customer Question
Hello.. I am a...

Hello.. I am a US citizen married to a Thai lady.. I am semi retired and LIve in Thailand most of the time.. I was married thru the American Embassy in Bangkok.. Next year when I do my taxes, I intend on filing married jointly and I will need some kind of alien registration number for my wife.. I also want to know if it would be possible to get her a green card/permanent residency status... so she can come and go...

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Hi Pearl.. no I have not.. this is the first time I'm even looking into this..

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No..thats about it.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/19/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

I've reviewed your question, and I'm happy to help.

Give me a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

Yes, it is possible to petition for your wife for permanent residency.

In order to do so, you'll need to submit USCIS Form I-130 for her.

The processing time for this petition ranges between 6-15 months.

Here is a link to USCIS with the forms and instructions:
https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/spouse/bringing-spouses-live-united-states-permanent-residents

However in order for your petition to be approved, you will also need to establish that you do maintain US residency and will intend to reside in the US with your wife.

I understand you live in Thailand most of the time, but there are some other way for establishing US residency for immigration purposes.

These include maintaining a permanent address in the US, whether this is at a home or property you own, and/ or maintaining US bank accounts, checking or saving.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Thanks Nisha...Great starting point...
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

You're welcome, no problem!

Please remember to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated!

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. Best of luck to you, take care!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!