Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I am an US citizen. I would like to apply for immigration

Customer Question
visa and adjustment of...
I am an US citizen. I would like to apply for immigration visa and adjustment of status for my parents who have been in USA since May 2017 with valid multiple entry visit visa which would expire in 2019. They are from India.
My questions are:
Would they be allowed to enter USA with their valid visit visa if they leave USA after I would apply for immigration visa and adjustment of status?
Would they be considered illegal alien if they stay here more than 6 months after I file for immigration visa and adjustment of status?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/19/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good morning, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Yes, since your parent have tourist visas valid until 2019, they will be able to return for visits using the already approved tourist visas.

Yes, your parents can run into immigration issues if they stay past the amount of approved time given for their stay on their tourist visas.

When they entered the US, the CBP officer would have informed them of how long their visit was approved for (somewhere up to 6 months), your parents just want to ensure that they leave within the alotted time, this will help they don't encounter any issues when their I-130 petitions are submitted.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer