How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 5228
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just found out that I lost my EAD Card. I'm currently on

This answer was rated:

Hi Pearl! I just found out that I lost my EAD Card. I'm currently on stem pot and I plan to travel abroad and come back into the US in October. If I apply for a replacement card now, I won't have it in time for the travel. What's the best thing to do if I can't abandon my travel plan since it's for a family emergency.
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: Not yet. Just found out I lost it. I just had my stem pot approved couple weeks ago
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

It is true if you apply now you will not have the EAD by October. However, you may have the receipt notice which takes about 3 weeks to receive. If you come back in with the receipt notice together with the I-20 signed for travel within 6 months and valid F1 visa this should help. It is very likely that you will be called in to secondary inspection to confirm your status, but it you have these documents you should be allowed in. However, keep in mind you are taking a risk.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY! It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions for you at no additional charge, if you have any.

Hopefully you feel you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best! The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you.

If you have additional follow up questions that you would like to ask me, again please click Finish and rate me and then ask me and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and very appreciated. If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I am the one that answers it for you by writing the words "FOR JEN MARIE" in your new post.

Jen Marie, Esq. and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jen Marie! Thank you for your speedy answer. A follow up question: I'm actually leaving in 10 days and coming back in October, so it won't be enough time for the receipt either. With this in mind, what would be my best course of action? I do have a valid visa and my OPT I-20. Thanks

The best course is to not go. It is a risk. If you do decide to do it anyway, you must know that it is a risk and you will likely spend time in secondary inspection being questioned if allowed back in.

Best of luck.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I understand it's a risk. in your opinion, what can I do better my chances? e.g. any additional documents, or anything I can prepare for the secondary inspection.

You can apply for the replace EAD and at least bring in a copy of your application and mailing receipt. You can bring in a letter from your employer stating your status and that you are still working with them.

Hope that helps.