Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Thank you for your time. Here is my case: -I am an

Customer Question
Hi,Thank you for your...

Hi,Thank you for your time. Here is my case:
-I am an internationnal student (French) on a F-1 Visa in Los Angeles, CA
-My course ends in June 2018. From this point I will be eligible for a 1-year OPT.
-An internationnal consulting company (also French) would like to open a new office in California, and hire me as their Business Developper Manager to develop their activities within the U.S (currently, only 1 office is established in the U.S).This perfectly describes the purpose of a L-1 Visa BUT as I am still under a student status. Therefore I cannot satisfy the 1 year working abroad criteria required by both L-1A and L-1B Visa.Based on the following details, do you see any path I could take to be able to work in the U.S for this company?FYI, I possess expert level certifications in the IT field (CCIE), maybe this could help..Many thanks,Pierre C.

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

Current F-1 status, present in the US. No pending applications or petitions.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/17/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 8 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Unfortunately, the path is not going to be convenient to you. You would have to leave the U.S. and go work for them outside for at least a year and then apply for the L-1, or you can do like most other students do which is apply for the H-1B when the time comes. I wish I had a more convenient way, but this area of law is very regulated and limited in options. Other than those options, you may look into the E-2 visa as well of the company is 50% or more owned by persons that have French citizenship and are classified in E-2 status or could be classified in E-2 status.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.