Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I'm a Syrian citizin living now in the US with my F-1 visa.

Customer Question
Hi, I'm a Syrian...

Hi, I'm a Syrian citizin living now in the US with my F-1 visa. I'm considering applying for asylum since I can't go back to Syria, the thing is I still want to keep my f-1 visa so I need to renew my passport, would that be an issue? if yes, would it help to renew the passport before applying for asylum?

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

No, I'm currently on F-1

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'd like to know if I need my passport with validity over six month to apply for cpt.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/17/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

No you do not need your passport valid for 6 months or more for CPT unless your school has a special policy when endorsing your I-20 for CPT. Schools can have policy different from immigration laws. So always check with your DSO on such matters.

Under immigration laws you only need a passport valid for at least 6 months at the time you enter the US or they will limit your stay to the date your passport expires.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith