Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a question? no, no, I just had a quick question. I…

Customer Question
Hello! I have a...

Hello! I have a question?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just had a quick question. I have a green card which says that I am resident since 05/17/2014 and the category of my green card is IF1. I had a divorce with my husband. The question is when can I apply for my citizenship?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/17/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

hello?

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

You can file 90 days before your 5 year anniversary date of 5/17/2019. Because you have divorced you need to wait the 5 years.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

Is there any way I can file earlier for my citizenship? I just wanted to invite my mom. I have not seen her since September 2013.

I am sorry the law is that you must be in the marital relationship living with your spouse to be eligible for the 3 year rule. You cannot apply sooner. There is no exception to this rule of law.

I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer