Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My employment ended with my company and my separation date…

Customer Question
My employment ended with my...
My employment ended with my company and my separation date with company is August 13th, 2017.I am on my STEM OPT right now, which is valid until (12/31/2018). I got my H1-B approval this year, which says that my H1 B status will be valid from (Oct 1, 2017) this year as Change of Status.Can I work back on my STEM OPT which is valid until (12/31/2018)? or my STEM OPT will be lost?IMPORTANT: My STEM OPT is valid until 12/31/2018, and my main concern is that I don't want to loose my STEM OPT option to work. Please advise me on this, what should I do ?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/17/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Leena Kamat,
 replied 11 months ago
Leena Kamat

Since your H-1B has been approved as a change of status (with an I-94), your H-1B status will automatically take effect on October 1. You will no longer be able to use your STEM OPT after that point. One possible (but not advisable) thing you could do to prevent this is leave the US shortly before October 1, and after October 1 enter using your F-1 visa, assuming you still have a valid one. Then you will basically be entering with F-1 status, superseding H-1B status. If you do this, though, your H-1B employer will need to file a change of status for you to get your H-1B status back after December 31, and though it won't be subject to the cap, it will go through the whole review again regarding employer-employee relationship, specialty occupation, etc.

Immigration Lawyer: Leena Kamat,
 replied 11 months ago

Please let me know if you need any clarifications - otherwise please provide a positive rating so I can receive credit for assisting you.