Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I filed a CR-8 application to remove conditions on alien…

Customer Question
Hello. I filed a CR-8...
Hello. I filed a CR-8 application to remove conditions on alien green card, it's now 2 years since I submitted my application . Yesterday I went to the uscis local office to inquire about my case but I was told by the officer that my case is being held for security reasons. I have no criminal background whatsoever and I'm still happily married for 4 years to the same US citizen. The officer also advised me not to use the I-55 stamp in my passport for travel purposes because they will not let me back into the country. Is there away I can find out why my file is flagged and what the real hold up is? Nicole
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/16/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 11 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Ok. I appreciate that

Hi Nicole: I am so sorry to hear that this is happening to you.

What has the ombudsman office and the senator's office been able to find out or tell you?

In response to their inquiries, uscis says that my case is under active security checks and they can't give a time frame to when it will be concluded. There's no definite answer
However the uscis officer told me that my file is on hold because of security reasons and that he won't disclose the exact reason

What country are you from?

I'm originally from Uganda, I came here on a k-1 visa petitioned by my current spouse. I got my temporary GC in 2013 and filed to remove conditions in 2015. I also decided to file the N-400 in September 2016. I was called in for an interview in February 2017 but I was turned away by the officer because I still have a CR-8 pending

I'm so sorry. I'm not going to have very bad news. I hope you can understand that I don't make the laws and I can't change them.

When there is a security issue that comes up in your background while USCIS is checking, the options are very limited to force them to make a decision because the law is very flexible with them when there can be issues of national security. It is likely nothing if you know that your background is clear but maybe there is an issue with your name or a family member and they must clear it up before moving on.

One option you do have since you have already tried the Ombudsman, is to file a Writ of Mandamus. I would recommend finding a local attorney to help you if you choose to go that route. You can read more about it here. https://www.murthy.com/2015/11/05/writ-of-mandamus-results-in-green-card-issuance/

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY! It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions for you at no additional charge, if you have any.

Hopefully you feel you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best! The stars are very important. This is how I receive a credit from the website. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you.

If you have additional follow up questions that you would like to ask me, again please click Finish... and rate me and then ask me and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you writing the words "FOR JEN MARIE" in your new post.