Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I am an international student enrolled at UCLA Extension…

Hello! I am an...

Hello! I am an international student enrolled at UCLA Extension with a F-1 Visa. I am enrolled in my last quarter at UCLA and I am doing a part-time internship approved by UCLA for credits. I have been accepted for another part-time internship but UCLA can only allow one and I already started the first one. My question would be: can I do the second internship too for no college credits on a voluntary basis without compromising my actual visa? The second internship is linked to my field of study (Entertainment), it's a production company and the work would be for 2 days a week, writing script coverage and assisting meetings (as far as I know, it's why most internships in production companies ask of their interns so it doesn't seem to be in violation of the DOL requirements that I found online).

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

No I am an international students with an F-1 visa

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything else right now

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/15/2017
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

As long as you will not be receiving any compensation and the volunteer job that you will be doing is not a job that is normally a paid position then it should be fine.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY! It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions for you at no additional charge, if you have any.

Hopefully you feel you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best! The stars are very important. This is how I receive a credit from the website. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you.

If you have additional follow up questions that you would like to ask me, again please click Finish... and rate me and then ask me and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you writing the words "FOR JEN MARIE" in your new post. :)

I must add that all the internships are unpaid.
Thank you!

Yes, you can do it as long as it is completely voluntary, no compensation and no one ever gets paid for it. It is the same as volunteering at a hospital or shelter. Also make sure that you maintain a full course load.

I hope this helps and hope to have earned your positive rating.

I just want to make sure that you understood that this is a second internship for no college credits, unpaid but not linked with UCLA because they already approved the first one? If the answer is still yes, you have earned your positive rating!

Yes, I do understand. Again as long as there's no compensation, including no credit, then it's fine. It is no different than volunteering your time at a hospital etc

Perfect then! You understand that I want to be extra careful considering my position. If it's like volunteering even if it's a production company then I will do it. Thank you so much for your time, it's very much appreciated! Have a good day!

I do understand completely. What you do with your time is up to you as long as the requirements I said are met.

You're very welcome. Have a great day as well and good luck in the biz :)

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Thank you!

:)

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney