Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Is possession of ammunition considered a deportable offense…

Customer Question
Is possession of ammunition...

Is possession of ammunition considered a deportable offense in ma

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No an immigration lawyer

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/15/2017
Immigration Lawyer: ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. No, it's not deportable. Generally speaking, Weapons offenses generally are held to involve moral turpitude (and can be deported on that basis). However, simple gun possession (i.e., G.L. c. 269, § 10) is not a crime of moral turpitude, although it is a separate ground of deportability.

8 U.S. Code § 1227 (C) Certain firearm offenses
Any alien who at any time after admission is convicted under any law of purchasing, selling, offering for sale, exchanging, using, owning, possessing, or carrying, or of attempting or conspiring to purchase, sell, offer for sale, exchange, use, own, possess, or carry, any weapon, part, or accessory which is a firearm or destructive device (as defined in section 921(a) of title 18) in violation of any law is deportable

Possession of ammunition is not included and not a deportable offense.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!