Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a question related to an I-894 Affidavit of Support.

Customer Question
I have a question...

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

My wife is applying for her green card and i am to sponsor her. I am a full time student and I receive a VA benefit to go to school. That benefit is my monthly income ($2500/month and $30,000 /year) while in school. I will be in school for the next 3 years. So, my last years tax return is $16,000 and less than is required. That does not take in the VA benefit. Am I able to sponsor her with my income as stated above?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes, my wife has.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/14/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 11 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Can you clarify this statement?

So, my last years tax return is $16,000 and less than is required.

Thank you for your cooperation.

sorry about that. My income for 2016 was approximately $16,000. This income amount is less than is required for USCIS to validate my affidavit of support. If my VA income that is not included on my 1040 tax return is not able to be considered It would appear that I would not be able to sponsor my wife. If I am able to count my VA income (but not able to be verified through taxed income) then I would be able to sponsor my wife. Am I amble to include VA income? This income is the same type of income that active duty service members get for housing, usually referred to as BAH income. Thanks
ok

Hello, I do not participate in the phone call program. Hence, the rejection of your offer

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for the information.

You should be able to put the VA benefit as part of your income. You need to of course provide evidence of the income as an attachment to your I-864. So, you should be able to sponsor your spouse.

Goodluck with your case,

The question then is i filling out the I-894. USCIS goes by the amount in box 19a in the I-894. Which is based on Tax returns. Where on the form am I able to include VA income?

First and foremost, the form number is ***** Let me check and get back to you.

You need to provide this information in Part 7 of the form regarding Supplemental Income.

Thanks you. It seems that Part 7 is asking for actual cash value and assets. In what box do I include a monthly received benefit to be received in the future in order to be calculated as an asset?

Enter the information on Part 7 number 3.