Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am currently in California on a B2 visa, and my partner is…

Customer Question
Hi, i am currently...

Hi, i am currently in California on a B2 visa, and my partner is here on an E3 visa. We are getting married next week and i am looking for information as to how i change status to the E3D visa, and how long this process takes/if i can stay in the country during this time?

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

B2. No pending applications or petitions

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/14/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 8 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Sure, happy to help. Yes, you can do this either in the US or outside the US. To do it inside the US, you would submit form I-539 found on USCIS.gov You can remain in the US the whole time that it is pending, just be sure that you submit it BEFORE your B2 i-94 time expires. On average it takes about 5 months right now. If you decide to do it here in the US, do not depart the US during that time or the whole application will be deemed abandoned and you will lose the money and have to apply at US embassy/consulate to get a visa to come back on E3D.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY! It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions for you at no additional charge, if you have any.

Hopefully you feel you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best! The stars are very important. This is how I receive a credit from the website. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you.

If you have additional follow up questions that you would like to ask me, again please click Finish... and rate me and then ask me and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you writing the words "FOR JEN MARIE" in your new post. :)

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney