Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

If I have apply for citizen after 5 years with resident

Customer Question
permanent card and I have...
If I have apply for citizen after 5 years with resident permanent card and I have. Theft record misdemeanor with a 45 days arrest that counts like 90 days in 1996 and a case dismissed of assault with deadly weapon also I change my state address since I move From to to fl and still attend to interview the n to sep 3 pass test but they could take a decition cuz of my back fro n no will have to forward to fl state to decide you the no I can be denied?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/14/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

I'm sorry there were a few typos in the question you sent.

Are you trying to find out whether the criminal charges can cause a denial of your naturalization paperwork?

when I ask 3 yrs ago say it won't fact the second case since it was dismissed and the firs case in the 1990's was a misdemeanor
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

Thank you for clarifying, and yes, that's correct.

This won't be the basis for a denial since you did not receive a conviction and since the other was a misdemeanor, almost 30 years ago.

Since you've updated your address with USCIS, your correspondence will be sent to you there and you can complete the naturalization process in Florida.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!