How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nisha Jones, Esq. Your Own Question
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1081
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Nisha Jones, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I have apply for citizen after 5 years with resident

Customer Question

If I have apply for citizen after 5 years with resident permanent card and I have. Theft record misdemeanor with a 45 days arrest that counts like 90 days in 1996 and a case dismissed of assault with deadly weapon also I change my state address since I move From to to fl and still attend to interview the n to sep 3 pass test but they could take a decition cuz of my back fro n no will have to forward to fl state to decide you the no I can be denied?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry there were a few typos in the question you sent.

Are you trying to find out whether the criminal charges can cause a denial of your naturalization paperwork?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when I ask 3 yrs ago say it won't fact the second case since it was dismissed and the firs case in the 1990's was a misdemeanor
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for clarifying, and yes, that's correct.

This won't be the basis for a denial since you did not receive a conviction and since the other was a misdemeanor, almost 30 years ago.

Since you've updated your address with USCIS, your correspondence will be sent to you there and you can complete the naturalization process in Florida.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!