Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I became US permanent resident in August 2013. I'm about 11…

Customer Question
Hi There,I became US...

Hi There,I became US permanent resident in August 2013. I'm about 11 months away from being eligible for US citizenship (August 2018). I have an opportunity to work in Europe. Is it possible to maintain continuous residency given the following:1. I own a home in US that I will maintain2. My family may stay back in US until we get citizenship3. I will be coming back n forth regularly to spend time with family in USThanks a ton for help.

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

Nope...none

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nope..that's it

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/14/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Leena Kamat,
 replied 9 months ago
Leena Kamat

Hello! In order to preserve continuous residence for naturalization purposes, you should observe two general rules:

1) You should not spend more than 6 months at a time outside of the US; and

2) During the five-year period before you apply for citizenship, you should make sure that the cumulative amount of time you have spent outside of the US does not exceed 30 months.

If there is less than a year to go before you qualify for citizenship. If you haven't spent too much time outside of the US so far in the last five years, then making at least a brief appearance might be good enough. Of course, you'll still need to keep your residence here in the sense of maintaining some type of bank accounts or property, and continuing to file taxes if required. It sounds like you already have a home and family here so you should be set.

Hope this helps. Please provide a positive rating so I can receive credit for assisting you!

Leena Kamat
Leena Kamat
Leena Kamat