Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Originally I was an Iraqi citizen and I was born in

Customer Question
Originally I was an...

Originally I was an Iraqi citizen and I was born in Bradford/UK, because of former rules in Iraq I was forced by the government to change my place of birth to Baghdad/Iraq. When I moved to the United States I had to follow my Iraqi passport so in the USCIS system my place of birth is Baghdad/Iraq, at that time I did not have a proof saying otherwise. I became a US citizen on March. I also was able to get a copy of my birth certificate from England and now I want to change the place of birth with USCIS but I can not find the proper form.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Which paper work?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/14/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 11 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

This will not be easy. You will need a state court to declare that it is your correct birth certificate. This may open a can of worms with USCIS for providing the wrong place all these years. I suggest that you make an appointment at your local USCIS office first and speak to an officer about doing so and what the local requirements would be. https://www.uscis.gov/news/uscis-issues-new-policy-issuing-certificates-citizenship-changed-dates-birth-and-names

You can make an appointment here - https://my.uscis.gov/appointment

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY! It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions for you at no additional charge, if you have any.

Hopefully you feel you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best! The stars are very important. This is how I receive a credit from the website. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you.

If you have additional follow up questions that you would like to ask me, again please click Finish... and rate me and then ask me and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you writing the words "FOR JEN MARIE" in your new post. :)