Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My husbands company lawyer forgot to file my h4 extension…

Customer Question
Hey...my husbands company lawyer...

Hey...my husbands company lawyer forgot to file my h4 extension along with his h1...his h1 is approved..but mine is not filed

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No....

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes my husband will talk today

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My I 94 is expired for more than 180 days

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/13/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 11 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

If you are still in the US and you did not submit an extension for your H4 together with your husband's H1 then you are not out of status and you have been out of status all this time. The easiest thing would be for you to depart the US and enter again to get a new H4 with your husband's new H1B extension. However, if you have been out of status more than 180 days, then as soon as you leave, you will be barred from returning for 3 years. The other option is to submit an I-539 nunc pro tunc ("now for then'") which is requesting that due to an error out of your hands, your status be extended starting when it originally expired as it should have been when your attorney made the mistake.

You should get a local attorney to assist you with that if you choose to do that. It is very delicate and needs to be done correctly and you should do it right away. Do not wait any longer.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY! It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions for you at no additional charge, if you have any.

Hopefully you feel you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best! The stars are very important. This is how I receive a credit from the website. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you.

If you have additional follow up questions that you would like to ask me, again please click Finish... and rate me and then ask me and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you writing the words "FOR JEN MARIE" in your new post. :)