Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am traveling to the Philippines in October and wanting to…

Customer Question
I am traveling to...

I am traveling to the Philippines in October and wanting to get married there to a woman I met. Since my stay will only be for two weeks, can I get the affidavit in leu of certificate, are the certificate of legal capacity to marry in the Philippines in the US before I travel there in October? If so, were would I have to go to obtain these documents and also is it possible to obtain them online? Thank you very much

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just recently was divorced in the US . It just became finalized September 7 of this year

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/13/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you might experience some delays while I work with several customers at the same time, or I am preparing a response to you. Please do not click Opt Out expecting a faster response. This results in more delays while waiting for another Expert. I assure you I will help you in due time. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below.

Once you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: You cannot apply for the Affidavit in the US. It is issued only from the US Embassy/Consulate in the Philippines. The fee is $50 (or its peso equivalent) per transaction (seal).

You can find the affidavit here: http://mag-anak.org/photos/forms/LEGALCAP.PDF. Prepare yours and take it with you. The officer there may have you fill out a new one once you are there, but I would fill this one out, just in case, and take it with you. Do not sign it until you are told to by the officer there.

Long story short, you cannot get it done here before you go, and you cannot avoid having to go to the Embassy/Consulate there.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

What about the certificate of legal capacity to marry? Is that available to obtain here in the US so I have it already before I travel there

I received your request for a phone call, but there was a problem with your request. Please contact customer service to deal with that: www.justanswer.com/help.

Please let me know when you've worked that out so that we can have a phone call.

Did you contact customer service? Would you like to continue here, rather than by phone?