Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am on my STEM OPT right now which is valid until Dec 2018.

Customer Question
I am on my...

I am on my STEM OPT right now which is valid until Dec 2018. My company applied for my H1 B this year, and it got approve. I that case my H1 B would start from Oct 1st this year. I have my approval notice with me. But I have lost my job now.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Can I get my H1 B transferred to a new company before Oct 1st?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/13/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you might experience some delays while I work with several customers at the same time, or I am preparing a response to you. Please do not click Opt Out expecting a faster response. This results in more delays while waiting for another Expert. I assure you I will help you in due time. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Is this a cap subject H1B?

Hi, I am on my STEM OPT right now. My company applied for my H1 B this year in April. I got my H1 B approval notice, which says that my H1 B will be effective on Oct 1st this year.
But I just lost my job.
1) Should I get my H1 B transferred to a new company ?
2) If yes, should I get my H1 B transfer initiated before Oct 1st?
3) How much time I have right now to find a new job?
4) If in case the H1 B transfer is not successful/ the application gets rejected my USCIS, can I work back on my STEM OPT? or will ,my STEM OPT will be lost?
4)
13 September 2017 10:55
But I just lost my job.
2) If yes, should I get my H1 B transfer initiated before Oct 1st? or after Oct 1st?
4) If in case the H1 B transfer is not successful to a new company / the application gets rejected by USCIS, can I work back on my STEM OPT? or my STEM OPT will be lost?

OK, now you are asking a whole new set of questions. I will need some time and patience from you to prepare my responses/answers to those questions. Thank you.

In the mean time, can I safely assume this was a cap subject petition?

Which job did you lost? The OPT job or the H1B job?

lost OPT job

OK, and your H1B job is still available?

And again, please answer this question: Is this a cap subject petition?

I have I-797
I had just one job OPT job as software engineer, after my master's in US
case : I129- petition for a nonimmigrant worker
i have I-797A form

Sir/Madam,

Are you cap subject or not? I have asked this question four times now.

I am not aware of that.. what is a cap subject..
I am currently on my stem OPT

Did you have to get through the lottery first?

OK, so you were cap subject.

One final question: you mention losing the OPT job, and then you say it is one job. Does that mean your H1B sponsor is no longer offering you the job either? By that I mean, is the OPT employer the same as the H1B employer and the job they were offering you is no longer available?

OK, I am preparing my answers.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

NOTE: You must report the loss of employment and complete Form I-983 with the employer to submit to the DSO within 10 days.

QUESTION 1: Should I get my H1 B transferred to a new company?

ANSWER: Only you can decide if you "should." I can't tell you what to do. But if you want to work on H1B, then you must do that.

QUESTION 2: If yes, should I get my H1 B transfer initiated before Oct 1st?

ANSWER: Yes, since you do not have a job to go to on October 1.

QUESTION 3: How much time I have right now to find a new job?

ANSWER: The grace period for OPT. But remember you should automatically change status on October 1. So you need to get one ASAP and have them file for you.

QUESTION 4: If in case the H1 B transfer is not successful/ the application gets rejected my USCIS, can I work back on my STEM OPT? or will, my STEM OPT will be lost?
ANSWER: On October 1, your status is H1B. You cannot just go back to F1 status (OPT) without applying for a change of status first.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer