Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Experience:  Immigration Law Expert
10285032

My maternal great grand mother is Turkish and my maternal

Customer Question

My maternal great grand mother is Turkish and my maternal great great grandmother is Italian. Is it possible for me to obtain an Italian or Turkish passport because of ancestry? I am a Lebanese citizen.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Turkish law cuts citizenship rights off at the mother or father of the applicant for citizenship and it does not extend beyond that for citizenship "jure sanguis" or "by blood."

Italian law goes a bit further and provides for citizenship based on your maternal and paternal grandfather citizenship as long as your mother or father never renounced their Italian Citizenship before your birth.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How can we know if my grandmother's grandmother did not renounce her citizenship?

Thank you for your reply.

This requires you to do genealogy research and check through immigration records to determine whether or not they did so. Sometimes this research can take some time, depending on the country whose immigration service you are dealing with. There are some companies out there who will do all of the research and application for you if you qualify, for a fee of course.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In case the grandmother was italian and her kids were born in lebanon to a lebanese father and did not get their italian passport, can her grandchildren who were also born in Lebanon get the italian passport?

Thank you for your reply.

The Italian Government is fairly lenient in their jure sanguis citizenship, but they require specifically "grandfather" not "grandmother" as the relationship requirement for citizenship.