How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3963
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Canadian citizen. I do not have a work visa here in

Customer Question

Hello! I am a Canadian citizen. I do not have a work visa here in the States. I have legal and physical custody of my child. I absolutely need to move back to Canada. Is this going to be a challenge?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: Official status...I am over stayed my 6 month allowance.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: a few One says it should be very easy to leave since I have no chance of creating a life here. Another says it may be difficult. I do not understand why it would be difficult if I have physical and legal custody and can not stay in this country.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am not sure what else is relevant
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Leena Kamat replied 1 month ago.

Hi there! I'm trying to understand why it might be difficult for you to leave -- is your child a US citizen?