Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

The affidavit in lieu of a certificate of legal capacity to…

Customer Question
The affidavit in lieu...

The affidavit in lieu of a certificate of legal capacity to marry.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Where do I obtain this affidavit

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/12/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you might experience some delays while I work with several customers at the same time, or I am preparing a response to you. Please do not click Opt Out expecting a faster response. This results in more delays while waiting for another Expert. I assure you I will help you in due time. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

It appears you have not reviewed my initial response, but Ia m going to answer your question anyway, int he hopes that you review it and then give me a positive rating.

Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: You can apply for the Affidavit from the US Embassy in the Philippines. The fee is $50 (or its peso equivalent) per transaction (seal).

You can find a sample of the affidavit here: http://mag-anak.org/photos/forms/LEGALCAP.PDF

Fill it out and print it, just in case. Do not sign it until you get to the embassy.

Note that even if you have this, the government in the Philippines must accept it if they are to allow you to get a marriage license. That is not something within the control or jurisdiction of the US government.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Do you need more help? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you!