How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leena Kamat Your Own Question
Leena Kamat
Leena Kamat,
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 91
Experience:  Managing Attorney at Kamat Law Corporation
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Leena Kamat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a card holder. I submitted my application in june 2014

This answer was rated:

I am a green card holder. I submitted my application in june 2014 & my case was approved in oct 2014
And my husband gave interview on jan 11 2016 by saying amdinistrative processing,
My question is how long it will take?

Hello! What type of interview did your husband have on January 11 2016? You mentioned you are a green card holder - do you mean you filed an I-130 petition for your husband to obtain permanent residence, and this was his I-485 interview? Please also let me know your husband's country of birth.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

There is no way to know for sure how long it will take, but there are a few things that you could do to move it along:

1) Put in a service request for the case being over processing times - select "case outside normal processing times" at with your husband's I-485 receipt information and explain that the interview was in January 2016

Please note that doing this is not likely to get the case adjudicated, but you must do it to show that you are trying to exhaust your administrative remedies

2) Contact your Congressperson's office (find representative at and put in an inquiry through the Congressperson

3) After trying the above two and at least getting case numbers for both, you can put in a case assistance request with the USCIS Ombudsman ( - note that they like to know that you have already tried other things, hence first try the first two.

You will need to wait up to 45 business days after trying #3, but it is often effective.

If it is not, the last resort is

4) File a writ of mandamus - you'll need a lawyer for this. It's basically a lawsuit against the government, compelling them to adjudicate the case.

Please leave a positive rating so I can receive credit for assisting you!

Please let me know if you need any clarifications - otherwise please leave a positive rating!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Immigration & his countryof birth is Pakistan
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dear Sir/Madam,Thank you for writing to our office. Your immigrant visa case has been refused under INA Section 221(g) for administrative processing, an integral part of the visa adjudication and issuance process that can neither be expedited nor waived. Unfortunately, it is difficult to predict the amount of time the processing will take and timing varies based on the individual circumstances of each case. The visa application will be reconsidered when administrative processing is complete.Please be assured that we are aware of your concerns and will process the application to completion as quickly as possible, in accordance with U.S. laws. We recognize that this process can be frustrating for applicants and regret any inconvenience.Sincerely,
Immigrant Visa Unit
Consular Section
U.S. Embassy, Islamabad
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I got this reply on 12 sep 2017

Oh I see - the interview was in Pakistan for him to get an immigrant visa. It has been quite a long time - I would suggest that you contact your Congressperson (find representative at for assistance. If the Congressperson is not able to get it moving, consider hiring an attorney to file a mandamus action.

Leena Kamat and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you