Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

Can I work as an Independent contractor in 24 months stem

can I work as an Independent contractor in 24 months stem opt extension

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

STEM OPT is different than your regular 12 month OPT that allows you to work as a self-employed. The huge difference is the e-Verify requirement of STEM and the employer reports that have to be filed. As an independent contractor you have no employer unless you create a corporate entity and it becomes e-Verify and you are put on the corporate entity payroll. That employer than can file the STEM reports.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith Ludwic

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Judith. I am a question on this. Am I eligible to do 1099 employment ? lets say my employer is ready to hire for 3 months as contractor and if he is ready to file i-983 form am I eligible to work like this ?

As long as the 1099 employer is eVerify. The employer must complete all STEM reports as required by law. You cannot do that, your employer who has you on 1099 must do that.

Judith