Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Second opinion] my aunt has a hard time speaking and

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hey my...

Second opinion] Hey my aunt has a hard time speaking and understanding english She came here through political asyum

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Not yet She wants to visit her sick mother back in India But her Indian Passport is expired and her Green Card has code AS7 on it

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No this is the first tim time*

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is allMy aunt is 47
She has been a lawful resident for 15,16 years
Her husband is a citizen and her son got citizenship through her husband

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/9/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 11 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

What is your specific question about your aunt's situation?

How can she go back for a short time to see her sick mother

It is never 100% safe to return to the country where someone has asylum from. She would have less risk if she applied for US citizenship but at her age, she would still need to take the exam in English to get it.

If she can't do that, last resort she can travel with her green card but she has to renew her Indian passport.

While she's there, she must also get and keep all documents related to the reason she is there, her sick mother, such as a doctor letter or death certificate. Keep your plane tickets. Also it's a good idea to get statements from people who see her in India while she's there stating that she did not go out only to see her mother. Have this notarized. This will all help to prevent her asylum from being taken away but there's no guarantee . Have her keep that for any future time that they may ask to see it.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY! It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions for you at no additional charge, if you have any.

Hopefully you feel you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best! The stars are very important. This is how I receive a credit from the website. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you.

If you have additional follow up questions that you would like to ask me, again please click Finish... and rate me and then ask me and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you writing the words "FOR JEN MARIE" in your new post. :)