How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 5231
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Second opinion] my aunt has a hard time speaking and

Customer Question

Second opinion] Hey my aunt has a hard time speaking and understanding english She came here through political asyum
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: Not yet She wants to visit her sick mother back in India But her Indian Passport is expired and her Green Card has code AS7 on it
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No this is the first tim time*
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is allMy aunt is 47
She has been a lawful resident for 15,16 years
Her husband is a citizen and her son got citizenship through her husband
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

What is your specific question about your aunt's situation?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How can she go back for a short time to see her sick mother
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

It is never 100% safe to return to the country where someone has asylum from. She would have less risk if she applied for US citizenship but at her age, she would still need to take the exam in English to get it.

If she can't do that, last resort she can travel with her green card but she has to renew her Indian passport.

While she's there, she must also get and keep all documents related to the reason she is there, her sick mother, such as a doctor letter or death certificate. Keep your plane tickets. Also it's a good idea to get statements from people who see her in India while she's there stating that she did not go out only to see her mother. Have this notarized. This will all help to prevent her asylum from being taken away but there's no guarantee . Have her keep that for any future time that they may ask to see it.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY! It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions for you at no additional charge, if you have any.

Hopefully you feel you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best! The stars are very important. This is how I receive a credit from the website. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you.

If you have additional follow up questions that you would like to ask me, again please click Finish... and rate me and then ask me and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you writing the words "FOR JEN MARIE" in your new post. :)