Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Attention: GSenmartin, You helped me in the past applying

Attention: GSenmartin,Hello,
You helped me in the past applying for my parents green card and all went very well as you explained. Thank you for that!I need your expertise and advise again. My parents now both have green cards. My dad got it back in July 2014. My mom got it a year later. They are worried about what could come up in the New immigration laws to be approved by the new administration. They would like to decide rather to stay in the U.S. or go back home. So there are a couple of scenarios, depending on what will be approved in the future.My questions to you are:
1- How does the future look like in terms of getting citizenship?
2- Is it true that to be eligible for citizenship, any gov benefits have to be paid back?Any other information that could be helpful will be very appreciated.Thank you in advance.

Welcome back and thank you for requesting me by name:

1) I never talk about these things. Why? Because it's been many years since anything meaningful has come out in immigration. In other words, I doubt anything meaningful is going to come out any time soon and even if it does, it will go through many changes before it is passed, so talking about X now will be Y next week, so it doesn't make sense to worry about it. Go by what the law is now.

2) No. But you cannot owe the government money (like in taxes) or you must be in a payment plan or you will not be able to prove good moral character.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!