Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
94475420

To whom it may concern, van Best and I am from the

Customer Question

To whom it may concern,my name is ***** ***** Best and I am from the Netherlands. I graduated in January from an LLM at the University of Connecticut and then started on OPT in February. From February until the end of May I worked as a full-time intern at the UN Refugee Agency in Washington DC, after this I left the country to do another internship in the Netherlands. Last week I returned to the US on a tourist visa and this week I met with my former employer in DC who want to rehire me until the end of the year. Is this possible on OPT? If my former were to issue a statement saying I have worked for them from the Netherlands for the past three months could I then work on the OPT again? Or is this impossible now that I have entered the country on a tourist visa?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Good morning, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 1 month ago.

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your immigration law question today. This is attorney Bill assisting you.

There is a difficulty here because you reentered the US on a tourist visa rather than your F visa.

Theoretically if your F visa is still valid you can continue your OPT; otherwise you need to change status to a F visa again to make your OPT legal.

You should file the following form with USCIS to change non-immigrant status back to F1 status

https://www.uscis.gov/i-539

We are here to help.

Please follow up with me as required.

In return remember to rate positively today.

You do this by rating 5***** , 4**** or better.

So I hope you rate FIVE STARS today.

As I'm not an employee of justanswer I rely on your positive feedback.

Thank You

Attorney Bill