How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJL LAW Your Own Question
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1628
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
KJL LAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an F1 visa that expires in 2018. I graduated from my

Customer Question

Hello. I have an F1 visa that expires in 2018. I graduated from my degree program in May 2017 - still have one year on the visa itself. I called USCIS they said I could stay for the year. Someone else said I could not. I applied for OPT but it has not been approved as yet. What can I do to stay in compliance with the Visa? Do I need to register for a course at the university? Does it need to be grad or undergrad?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: I am F1 currently. I submitted for OPT
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: A friend asked his friend who is a lawyer. He said I cannot stay beyond 60 days. USCIS said I could stay the year.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not presently.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 month ago.
Good afternoon
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 month ago.
If you don't apply for opt through your school then you have 60 days to leave.However, you can obtain OPT employment authorization which is a two-part application:Part 1. Submit an online application to the IS Office to obtain a new I-20 with the OPT recommendation printed on it.Part 2. Send your OPT application with fee to the immigration agency USCIS (Citizenship and Immigration Services).It may take three months (or maybe more) to be processed, so you need to plan ahead.You can remain in F-1 status under the schools sponsorship with an active SEVIS record during your authorized period of up to 12 months of Post-Completion OPT.I hope this clarifies.Please don't forget to rate the question with stars so that I will receive credit and payment for assisting you with your question.