How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3963
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife is from brazil and I am a U.S. citizen. We got

Customer Question

Greetings.... My wife is from brazil and I am a U.S. citizen. We got married in Mexico on August 3, 2017. We are currently working on getting a Ir-1/Cr-1 visa... My wife's passport is due to expire on February 23, 2018 and she wants to get a new passport with her name changed.. We were told that the only way to do that was to go to the Brazilian consulate in Mexico city with our marriage certificate... Is this the only way? Is there a web site that could help guide us? Thank You... James
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: No , but we are working on the marriage visa
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes, but not about the name change.... She was given the information about the name change by a notary in Rio
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

If your wife is residing in Mexico then the only way for her to be issued a new passport under her married name is ***** ***** Brazilian consulate in Mexico City.

She will need to seek the new passport before her old one expires in February or it is difficult to have the passport issued by Brazil outside of Brazil.

The information given to her by the notary in Brazil is correct, if she is residing in Mexico she needs to take her current passport and her marriage certificate with translation into Portuguese since that is the official language of Brazil, not Spanish.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.