How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109656
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mothers green card is expired and according to her

This answer was rated:

my mothers green card is expired and according to her previous lawyer who has since retired they needed proof that my mother was in this country prior to Dec '81. Her actual proof is my birth in sep 0f '81. so now she is retired and needs to collect her SSi and other benefits she can't, how do i fix this?
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: no trying to find out the right course of action i believe she did but that was a few years back
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i believe i gave you the gist of the situation.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

So you can't just submit your U.S. birth certificate and hospital records of your birth which was prior to December 1981?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
well I'm now taking over this process as nothing was getting done in the past. and i need the guidance to steer me on the right path and also to get it done right as i can imagine that this process can be lengthy

But you are saying that you have not submitted your U.S. birth certificate and other proof that you were born before December 1981 in the U.S. which means that your mother was obviously in the U.S. before December 1981?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my thoughts exactly but who do i submit them too?

The people that are asking for it. I mean someone is refusing to give her benefits unless she shows proof. So I don't really understand your question. You should submit that evidence to those people.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

No problem. Just as additional information, I would also pull hospital records, maybe baptismal records, job and tax records, and maybe if she was in school at the time, school records as well. Also, statements from witnesses that she was in the U.S. before December 1981 can be helpful as well.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!