Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a South African working at a resort in Austin TX

Customer Question
Hi there.. I am...

Hi there.. I am a South African working at a resort in Austin TX completing a Hospitality internship On a J1 Visa.

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

J1

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No but I would like to

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I would like to remain in the US for another year after my j1 visa expires and I need as much guidance as possible as to all available options and avenues

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/7/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 8 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Are you subject to the 2 year home residency requirement?

I'm not sure.. i am here through a company called Alience Abroad Group and the program is designed for us to come for a year and then go home

You would need to give me that information for me to help you. It would be written on your J1 visa if you are.

Okay so my visa clearly states that the 2 year rule does not apply

Great. If you would like to remain in the US for some more time after your visa expires, one option you have is to get another J1 visa. Some other common options are below:

Another option is to change your status to B2 tourist visa which you can get for 6 months at a time. You would submit application I-539 while your J1 is still valid.

You can also apply to change your status to a student visa if you apply and are approved in a school that accepts F1 students. You also submit I-539 while your J1 is still valid.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY! It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions for you at no additional charge, if you have any.

Hopefully you feel you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best! The stars are very important. This is how I receive a credit from the website. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you.

If you have additional follow up questions that you would like to ask me, again please click Finish... and rate me and then ask me and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you writing the words "FOR JEN MARIE" in your new post. :)

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney