Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I've been in the US for about 13 years, I'm married to a US…

Customer Question
I've been in the...

I've been in the US for about 13 years, I'm married to a US citizen I am a Canadian citizen, I'm waiting on immigration to get my residency in the US but it's still in progress now I had a fall in Dec/2012 went to hospital, I stayed there for 5days I also needed my upper lip and forehead stitched so hospital called a plastic surgern to do it but I never ask for him and I was also extremely drugged up with IV pain medication so no way was I in any condition to ok to get me a plastic surgeon since I had no insurance now we are in 2017 the Plastic surgeon partner is coming after me for the dept( about 20-25 stitches and charging me almost $20,000 plus lawyer fee so almost $26,000) everything is in my hubby name since I'm still Canadian citizen I can't work here more have any kind of assets but he got a judgment on me and trying to go after our stuff that all belongs to my hubby... can they do this since I'm not even a US resident/citizen?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

We started the process last year but nothing yet and I have an immigration lawyer doing it for me

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes and he said I'm judgment proof since I'm not even resident yet I'm still only Canadian citizen

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Any other medical bills from emergency situations after I got married since they say they can touch me have no assets or anything in my name they can't go after his thing under his name that was accumulated after we got married

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/6/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 11 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Ok thank you
I can't talk but I can txt!

No, this has nothing to do with your US permanent residency. This will not affect getting your green card. Only criminal issues can affect your green card and this is a civil matter.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY! It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions for you at no additional charge, if you have any.

Hopefully you feel you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best! The stars are very important. This is how I receive a credit from the website. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you.

If you have additional follow up questions that you would like to ask me, again please click Finish... and rate me and then ask me and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you writing the words "FOR JEN MARIE" in your new post. :)

Just so you know all this happened in Pa( hospital, the surgeon and this is were I live

Thank you for the additional information. That does not change my answer.

My question was not about me getting my green card I don't even have my US resident card yet, I want to know if they can get a judgment on me because of outstanding medical bills that happened in 2012...... that was the first thing I was asking
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

I am a different expert.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

The doctor can get a judgment against you but if you don't have anything he cannot get anything from you.

As long as your husband did not sign to be a responsible party for your medical care he cannot be held liable for your medical care and since you don't own anything you are judgment proof. It doesn't matter if you have resident status or not, what matters is you have any bank accounts in joint names that the doctor's lawyer can attach.

So if your husband put you on anything in joint names after you married, have your name taken off so they cannot attach your joint assets.

It doesn't matter if you had joint assets when you were sued, it matters whether they can find anything in both names now.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith