Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a green card holder and my son is a US citizen. I have…

I am a green card...
I am a green card holder and my son is a US citizen. I have an income from foreign country and how do I know if my son is eligible to HUAKY health plan?
9/5/2017
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

thank you!

Please explain what you mean by HUAKY?

Do you mean HUSKY?

sorry, it is HUSKY. My son is 5 years old.
last year, I and my husband have $58,000 income from out country. My husband does not have a green card. We were all in foreign country last year.
We just arrived at US and my son is in the school. My salary was paid still from foreign country company. My husband and I do not have a job in US

You can try to apply and depending on your current US salary they will decide to approve your son or now for HUSKY. All you can do now is apply and give it a try.

I think we will have similar amount of income this year which all from foreign country.
I tried to apply for it; however, they did not ask where your income comes from. I do not know if I should put my foreign income there or not

If you are a family of three, you have to make less than $33,000 a year. You made more but it is foreign income So it is possible that you can claim less and not put your foreign income if you don't expect it any longer. You will have to apply and see what happened.

http://www.meridenk12.org/Customer-Content/WWW/CMS/files/HUSKY_Family_Income_Guidelines_good.pdf

Do you know if they have policy/rule to clarify how to claim the foreign income?
There is no place to clarify where my income are from when I filled in the application form
actually, we have another kid in foreign country who is not with us at this moment in US.

Yes I have just confirmed, foreign earned income must be included and is counted as your income.

thank you for the information! how about the child in foreign country?

You can try to list the child but it would not change the income requirements. $58k is still too much even if you are a family of 4 unfortunately.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY! It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions for you at no additional charge, if you have any.

Hopefully you feel you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best! The stars are very important. This is how I receive a credit from the website. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you.

If you have additional follow up questions that you would like to ask me, again please click Finish... and rate me and then ask me and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you writing the words "FOR JEN MARIE" in your new post. :)

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney