Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I have applied to renew my green card in feb 2017 and I

still JA: Have you filed any...
I have applied to renew my green card in feb 2017 and I still
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: didnot receive it .... the current green card extension will expire in November . And we are in the process of buying a house . So what do I need to do to make sure it won't affect my job or the new house buying process
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
9/5/2017
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Did you file an I-90 or an I-751?

What is the difference between I-90 and I-751?

The I-90 is used to renew a 10 year green card. The I-751 is used to remove the conditions on a 2 year conditional green card. So which one did you file?

I filed an I-90
Filed on feb 15 2017

Ok. If you need to prove you are a Lawful Permanent Resident, go to http://infopass.uscis.gov/ and make an appointment to speak to an immigration officer in person. Take your I-90 receipt and your passport and ask them to stamp your passport with a temporary I-551 stamp and you can use that for a year to travel and work.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

They gave me an extension sticker until nov 2017
do I wait and then get the I-551?
Or do I get it asap?

You should wait until probably next month. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

also another question is ..... can I apply for citizenship before nov 2017? And would that make a difference ?

If you have more than 4 years and 9 months of Residency (or 2 years and 9 months of Residency if married to a U.S. Citizen longer than 3 years) then you can apply for U.S. Citizenship without waiting for your I-90 to be approved.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

I have stayed 10
Years in the United States . So do I need to wait until I get my new green card? Or can I start the process now ?
Sure I will rate once I am done

You can start the U.S. Citizenship process now. Also, you can leave a positive rating and you do not have to be done. The session never closes.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.

See? I am still here. Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

should I start the citizenship process. And how long would it take for that to complete ? Would that affect my loan process for home
Can u please answer

You can start the process and it should not interfere with your purchasing a home, but that's more of a real estate question, not an immigration question. The Citizenship process can take 6 months to a year or more depending on how busy your local office is.

For Arizona what would be the time period? And is it possible for you to check what is the timeline for the green card renewal for Arizona state
also how much would a lawyer charge if we go thru them for the citizenship process ?

It's taking about a year or so. As far as what a lawyer could charge, around $1000 to $3000 or more plus filing fees which are close to $700.

Waiting for an answer ..... not sure if the messages are still
Getting through

An answer to what? I have responded to all of your questions. Please re-read.

Got the answers now

My pleasure.

For green card renewal also it is an year for Arizona state ?
does that mean I should take an appointment asap and get the I-551 stamped ?
parallely apply for citizenship ?

I'm signing off in a few minutes as it is almost 2am for me. I already answered that you can apply for U.S. Citizenship while your I-90 is pending. There is no conflict. And I already answered that you should wait until next month, October to do the appointment to give more time for the I-90 to be approved. Also, you do not stop being a Resident just because you have an expired card. As to how long the I-90 takes, what does your I-90 receipt number start with? MSC? CSC? or something like that?

One sec let me check ..... my extension they given me expir d November 8.... so I wanna make sure I get the stamp if needed a little early than to wait till the end

As I said, you don't stop being a Lawful Permanent Resident just because you have an expired card. It is just difficult to travel with an expired card, through not impossible and employment is normally a problem if you change jobs or your employer is a stickler for checking updated status. Anyway, I will wait a few more minutes for your receipt number, but I am signing off very soon.

My employer is strict about the status. That is also one major problem
Receipt number is *****

They are working on I-90s submitted September 12, 2016. So it will probably take another 5 months or so to get from September 2016 to February 2017 when you filed yours. So make the appointment this month or next month. Good luck!

Thk you
Where do I check the status ?

www.uscis.gov and click on the Tools tab Have a good night.

I will be moving in to new house by end of November 2017. If I apply th citizenship with current address would it be a problem? Or can I later notify them change of address ?

As long as it is in the same jurisdiction, it won't be a problem, but if you are moving cities or states, it will be a problem.

I will be moving from tempe,AZ to chandler,AZ
It is same state but 10-20 miles apart and the city names are different

Are they in different counties? What are the names of each county?

Both cities come under maricopa county

Then it should be fine. Good luck.

should I put my current living address and mailing address as the new one we are moving to ?

My friend, I don't mind answering a few follow-up questions but all within reason. You should file the N-400 with the current address at the time that you file. After you change your address, you would need to file an AR-11 as soon as possible. Good luck.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.