Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My son who is a green card holder and is entering the US…

My son who is...

My son who is a green card holder and is entering the US Airforce on Sept 19 is recently married to a girl who is a tourist with visa to expire on OCt 11. what must be done so that the girl does not need to go home anymore when her visa expires?

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

I am a permanent resident in US and I don't have any pending applications or petition with USCIS, same with my son.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

He was able to talk to a lawyer and was advised to wait for him to become a US citizen before he will petition the wife

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We would just like to know if we can submit anytime the petition for the wife and if okay for her to stay in US when her visa expires since there will already be a pending petition

9/1/2017
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

When is your son eligible to apply for his citizenship?

Nov 9 if God permits
As long as you can give me an answer to my question I will be fine.

Since your son is a green card holder and not a US citizen yet, if he petitions her now, she will not be able to stay here legally once her visa expires. There's no way to keep her here legally at the moment. However, if they are sure that they will get married and that he will apply for citizenship, then she can decide if she wants to stay after October 11 illegally, and then he applies for citizenship right away. It takes about 5-6 months to become a citizen and she will be illegally here during that time. Once he is a citizen , he can petition her right away and it will forgive all the time that she was illegal.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY! It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I will continue to answer your follow up questions for you at no additional charge. if you have any.

Hopefully you feel you can rate me 3 stars or more. Of course, 5 stars rating is the best! The stars are very important. This is how I receive a credit from what you paid the website. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you.

Again, if you have additional follow up questions that you would like to ask me, please Finish... and rate me and then ask me and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you writing the words "FOR JEN MARIE" in your new post. :)

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello again.. I see that you were able to view my answer a few days ago, but you did not ask any follow ups or leave me any feed back.

Please let me know how else I can help and please kindly keep in mind that we experts do not receive a salary from this website. We only receive credit when you leave a good rating for us with the stars ★★★★★. Thank you for your consideration of our work and time here.