Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I have a friend who would like to apply for a Green Card. He

Hello. I have a friend...
Hello. I have a friend who would like to apply for a Green Card. He is here in the US on a tourist Visa at this time. His son is a US Citizen.1. He is wondering which forms need to be filed for him? Is it the I-130, I-485, and Financial Affidavit?2. Will he need to go back to his home country or can he do the whole Green Card process here now even if his tourist visa might expire before the process is done?Thank you.
8/31/2017
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

How old is his son?

hes over 21

This is everthing that he needs to send:

FORMS: I-130, I-485, I-864, I-765 (work permit- optional), I-131 (travel advanced parole -optional), G-1145 (optional). Throughout the forms, remember son is the PETITIONER and your friend is the BENEFICIARY. This will help in filling them out. You can find all forms here http://www.uscis.gov/forms

Read the I-864 carefully and make sure son's income qualifies, if not they need a joint sponsor.

Together with the forms they will also send:

-Immigration medical exam for your friend (find a doctor that performs these at https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=CIV)

-2 passport style photos for son, 8 for your friend (2 photos each for I-130, I-485, I-131, I-765)

-Checks or money orders $1225 and $535 ($1755 total) made to DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY

-Copy of son's US passport biographical page

-Copy of your friend's's passport biographical page

-Copy of your friend's I-94 and last visa

-Copy of your friend's birth certificate with certified translation if needed

-Copy of son's birth certificate and translation if needed

- Copy of dad's marriage certificate to son's mom

- Son's last tax returns and W-2/1099

-

Make a copy of your whole packet. Mail the original to:

USCIS

PO Box 805887

Chicago, IL###-##-####/p>

This is the address if you want to do Express mailing:

USCIS

Attn: FBAS

131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor

Chicago, IL###-##-####/p>

Once they file all these documents, they will receive a receipt notice in the mail for each of the applications in 2-3 weeks. One filed, your friend can remain in the US. HE does not have to leave. He will be in a temporary legal status until a decision comes at the interview. After about 4weeks after sending , your friend will receive an appointment to have biometrics (fingerprints) taken at the local USCIS office. THen he should then receive a work permit and travel permit (advanced parole) in about 3-4 months, if you sent those applications in also. He should not travel outside the US until receiving this travel permit or the whole process will be considered abandoned. If your friend doesn't submit the I-131, travel permit, it's fine; hr can travel once they receive the green card.

I know immigration issues like these sometimes seem complicated and confusing. If at any time you would like to have a more detailed consultation by phone or if you need help with preparation or review of applications, I can send you an offer to exchange contact information so I may help you with these legal services for a reasonable fee. You don't have to decide if you would like that now, but just letting you know it's an affordable option for you to keep in mind for whenever you'd like.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly now click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. Do not worry, the question will NOT actually finish and we will NOT be done even after you click and rate me. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I will continue to answer your follow up questions for you at no additional charge.

Hopefully you feel you can rate me 3 stars or more. Of course, 5 stars rating is the best! The stars are very important. This is how I receive a credit from what you paid the website. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you.

Again, if you have additional follow up questions that you would like to ask me, please Finish... and rate me and then ask me and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and very appreciated.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Quick followup:
1. If he doesnt need the I-131 travel, would it just be 6 photos for my friend then?
2. By "Son's last tax returns and W-2/1099" you mean just the one he has for recent year, right?
3. Is there a need to provide a copy of any divorce decrees from prior marriages for the Dad? Thanks so much for your help!

Yes, just 6 photos without the I-131.

Yes, tax return for the last year.

No divorce decrees for dad's prior marriages is not necessary, but they may be requested in the future for citizenship so he should get them.

Best of luck

Hi mam. I had one quick question. If the son in this situation was under 21, would all of this still be possible for my friend? I would appreciate if you can answer this, i will check back in tom morning,

No, if son is under 21 then none of this will apply until he turns 21

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello mam, sorry to bring this question up again but we are going to mail this out very soon and we were wondering if you can please clarify about the passport-style photos:You said "2 passport style photos for son, 8 for your friend (2 photos each for I-130, I-485, I-131, I-765)"Recall the son is the US Citizen and friend is his father (the current green card applicant). To clarify, for the US Citizen son the 2 passport-style photos for him need to be attached how? Is it 1 photo with the I-130 and 1 with the I-485 or ??Thank you so much.

The pictures can all be placed in a clear ziplock bag. You don't have to separate them.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney