Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Applications (like the Green Card application), what is

Hi. For Immigration applications (like...
Hi. For Immigration applications (like the Green Card application), what is supposed to be provided as far as the documentation in regards ***** ***** taxes? Is it a COPY of the tax return from the prior year? Or what?Thank you.
8/31/2017
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you might experience some delays while I work with several customers at the same time, or I am preparing a response to you. Please do not click Opt Out expecting a faster response. This results in more delays while waiting for another Expert. I assure you I will help you in due time. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

It depends entirely on which form you are filing.

You said "like the green card application;" is that what you are filing?

The beneficiary will be having two joint sponsors. Its two part question:
1. So is each of the joint sponsors need to complete I-864 Affidavit and provide COPY of most return federal income tax return?
2. And then wife, who is US Citizen original sponsor, she had her mom file and she was in the return as a "dependent" because she was not working and so did not file taxes. Is that sufficient to provide the mom's income tax return since wife not working and was claimed as dependent?

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

QUESTION 1: So is each of the joint sponsors need to complete I-864 Affidavit and provide COPY of most return federal income tax return?

ANSWER: Yes.

QUESTION 2: And then wife, who is US Citizen original sponsor, she had her mom file and she was on the return as a "dependent" because she was not working and so did not file taxes. Is that sufficient to provide the mom's income tax return since wife not working and was claimed as a dependent?

ANSWER: If she filed a tax return for herself that shows zero income, then she provides a copy of that. If she did not file a tax return because she had no income, then she simply provides the I-864 with the income information. In an attachment to the I-864, she will explain that she had no income and therefore was not required to file a return. She should not provide her mother's return for her own I-864 UNLESS she is asked by the USCIS to provide evidence of no income.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

OK thank you so much I will give 5 stars but to clarify:When you say "attachment to the I-864, she will explain that she had no income and therefore was not required to file a return."---What does this statement need to look like? Does this work:
My name is ***** ***** am the US Citizen wife of the applicant ____. In the year 2016, I did not have income and therefore was not required to file a return.Sincerely,
_____Does that work?

Yes, that is fine.

Note that if she had an income two years prior, then she should include that information in the form of copies of her tax returns. If she did not, then she should explain that she had no income in those years either.

Please do not forget that rating. Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer