Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

My I-485 was filed along with I140 for EB1 processing. I-485…

My I-485 was filed along...
My I-485 was filed along with I140 for EB1 processing. I-485 receipt shows priority date as Oct-2016. However afterward my I140 got approved ( EB1) and it retained old priority date of May-2008 ( it took it from my past I140 record which I filed with X employer ).I would like to know if my case with uscis would process based on recent I-485 priority date which is Oct-2016 OR will it based on EB1-approved I-140 priority date which is May-2008 ? Currently EB1 for indian citizen showing processing date as 01Jan12 so I'm concerned that my processing would delayed even though I have much older priority date on I-140
8/17/2017
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you might experience some delays while I work with several customers at the same time, or I am preparing a response to you. Please do not click Opt Out expecting a faster response. This results in more delays while waiting for another Expert. I assure you I will help you in due time. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

When you filed the I-485, did you use the I-140 that was approved? Or some other I-140? Or was the I-140 just not approved yet?

Did you request to port the old I-140 date when this I-140 was filed?

My employer filed it for EB1 category. As EB1 category was "Current" that time, I-485 was filed along with I-140 ( EB1 ). So receipt of I-485 shows priority date as Oct-2016, but later on for EB1 category I-140 got approved and it shows priority date as Oct-2008

OK great, no problem. Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are requested. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: Draft and send a letter to the USCIS office processing the I-485 requesting that they update the priority date on the concurrently filed I-485 to match the date on the approved I-140, and accordingly, to start the review of the Adjustment of Status process. Send in a copy of the I-140 approval notice and I-485 receipt notice.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Thanks James.. In USCIS case status, there's tab for request correction - do you know if I can use the online process or better to do it through immigration lawyer for effective communication and processing ?

Remember that I don't get credit for doing my job if you do not give me a positive rating. Kindly do so by going to the top of this page and clicking on 4 or 5 stars. Thank you!

ANSWER: You can try. But if it were me, I would definitely send it in. You do not have to use an immigration lawyer to do so.

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer