Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Im cuban, 17 years ago i married a dominican to get status…

Im cuban, 17 years...

Im cuban, 17 years ago i married a dominican to get status to leave cuba for the dominican republic. i never registered the marriage in the dominican republic. i now want to marry again do i need to get a divorce in cuba ) i live and have my business in the dominican) or is this marriage not legal in the first place

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I married in havana, cuba. i have legal residence in the dominican republic

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

In the dominican republic no

8/17/2017
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

ok, no problem
no id rather wait for your response here

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

You married in Cuba but not DR?

in cuba not the dominican. I married a dominican to get residency in the DR. Ive been living in the dr for 16 years. I never registered the marriage in the dr.

Well, unfortunately, you are still legally married. That could come back to bite you in the future if you don't take care of it now. What city and state do you live in and how long have you been there?

i live in sosua, puertp plata and ive been here for 17 years

I would file for divorce there and get that taken care of before marrying again. Even if you do not know where your spouse is, they should have a way for you to publicize your divorce to satisfy a judge that you tried to contact your spouse and/or her family and she just does not respond and you can do the divorce like that and still get it approved.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!